By B.N. Frank
Environmental Working Group (EWG) recently offered a one-year fellowship to study effects of EMF exposure on the public. However, doctors, environmentalists, and scientists have been warning about how we are affected by increasing levels of Electromagnetic Radiation pollution (“Electrosmog”) for many years now.
Electrosmog includes cell phone and wireless WiFi radiation. Experts have been insisting that we should be reducing sources of Electrosmog – not increasing them. Unfortunately, the current “Race to 5G” drastically increases them. Doctors, scientists, engineers, and public advocates have asked President Trump for a moratorium on 5G (see 1, 2, 3). 5G opposition is worldwide. Some cities and countries have already banned it.
The EPA can’t do anything about any of this though. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is the agency that is supposed to protect the public by regulating the telecom industry. Instead, they’ve been catering to them since long before the Trump administration. It’s much worse now because of the “Race to 5G”. There have been lawsuits filed against the FCC for not protecting the public from radiation exposure (see 1, 2) and also 5G (see 1, 2, 3, 4).
Once upon a time, the EPA could try to do something about cell phones and other wireless radiation-emitting technology. But that changed decades ago when employees wanted to start warning the public about risks. Thanks to Environmental Health Trust for providing more details.
What Does the EPA State About the Safety of Cell Phones and Wireless Technology?
EPA Analysis and Reports on Cell Phones, Radiofrequency and Electromagnetic Fields
This page contains a list of recommendations, reports and letters by the EPA on electromagnetic radiation.
- The EPA repeatedly has stated that FCC limits are not protective of non-thermal effects, nor effects of long term exposure.
- The EPA has repeatedly outlined safety concerns with current outdated limits and called for more protective limits.
- The EPA has was drafting safety limits for the public that considered long term exposure and non thermal effects. The safety limits never saw the light of day.
- The EPA had a well funded division researching the human health risks from EMFs. The work was defunded and research was all but halted.
- The defunding of the EPA meant that the USA has never developed safety standards for human exposure. Read a 2005 news story about the decreased funding to the EPA.
- A 1990 EPA report was drafted in which the EPA expert team recommended that power-frequency EMFs should be classified as “probable human carcinogens” and that RF/MW radiation be considered a “possible human carcinogen. This report was shelved and never released as a final.
- Instead of developing safety standards based on carefully planned independent scientific research, the US adopted radiation limits prepared by industry lead groups. For example, the Chair of the IEEE group was Chief Motorola Scientist. Documents pre 1996 clearly show that the EPA was in the process of developing science based safety standards when funding was abruptly removed.
- The EPA public website text on Wireless was changed in 2014 (the same date that the CDC webpage was changed) minimizing safety issues and likely leading the public to believe that health concerns were minimal.
Counter Markets Newsletter - Trends & Strategies for Maximum Freedom
- Americans for Responsible Technology
- Center For Electrosmog Prevention
- Center For Safer Wireless
- Electromagnetic Radiation Safety
- EMF Safety Network
- Environmental Health Trust
- Physicians for Safe Technology
- Scientists for Wired Tech
- Wireless Information Network
Provide, Protect and Profit from what’s coming! Get a free issue of Counter Markets today.