Just before 2 AM on January 1st, 2011 John Kurtz left a Private Party on Orange Avenue and Church Street, Downtown Orlando to investigate some apparent police activity on Church Street.
Kurtz approached the scene and videotaped the incident, which included the use of tasers, a violent take down, and a pepper spraying AFTER the suspect was subdued and in handcuffs.
Officer Adam Gruler repeatedly told Kurtz to go away and turn off the camera. When Kurtz informed Gruler that he knew his rights and wasn’t going anywhere, Gruler violently took Kurtz to the ground and arrested him.
After multiple attempts to deny Kurtz bond, relentless efforts by Kurtz’s friends, family, attorney and other privately contracted help, Kurtz was finally released from Orange County Jail after a full 7 days behind bars.
Kurtz’s Video Camera with the evidence on it that would easily clear or condemn him of these charges mysteriously went missing. It was not in Kurtz’s personal effects when he was released from jail, nor was it entered into evidence. It is unknown what happened to Kurtz’s camera. However, at best it reflects negligence on the Orlando Police Department for failure to secure evidence; at worst it shows absolute corruption and evidence tampering.
John Kurtz is a peaceful person who adheres and promotes the non aggression principal. Kurtz is known by his friends as a pacifist who is much more likely to turn the other cheek, than to retaliate with violence.
- The evidence against Kurtz is nothing more than the word of a few Police officers.
- The evidence defending Kurtz includes multiple third party eye witnesses and video evidence from the street camera on Church Street. All who show Officer Gruler as the aggressor, and Kurtz simply video taping.
About Officer Gruler:
- Officer Adam Gruler was named by the Orlando Sentinel as a ‘Hunter’ and one of the top Taser users on the force. Gruler is notorious in the poverty stricken area of Orlando known as Parramore for taserings, verbal abuse, violence and questionable conduct. Gruler’s Internal Affairs profile includes dozens of civilian complaints.
- Officer Adam Gruler is the same out-of-control cop who was recently caught on video unlawfully arresting a local Orlando News photographer!
About John Kurtz:
- Kurtz is known locally for not only his work with OrlandoCopwatch.Com, but also for a variety of civil disobedience and street theater, geared at pointing out the injustice and absurdity of some of the laws and ordinances in Orlando.
- Kurtz made national headlines when he refused to comply with a city ordinance in Orlando banning the feeding of the homeless within 2 miles of City Hall, Kurtz and others repeatedly held food sharings at City Hall.
- Kurtz is an active Jurors Rights activist who spends many mornings at the Orange county Court House informing Jurors of their rights.
- Kurtz has been a political activist as well, formerly a Precinct Chair for the Orange County Republican Executive Committee, and currently a District Coordinator with the Florida Campaign for Liberty, Kurtz has spent countless hours campaigning for local candidates and lobbying politicians for fiscally conservative and socially liberal practices.
- Kurtz has been a successful Real Estate Broker for 6 Years in Central Florida, and considers friends, family and liberty the most important things in his life.
Please Join us in letting Orlando Know that we will not condone innocent people to go to Prison as political targets.
When: Monday May 16th, 2011 8:30 AM
Where: Orange County Court House: 415 North Orange Ave, Orlando, FL 32801
What: Please stand in unity as Liberty activist John Kurtz stands Trial. Facing a maximum sentence of 6 years in Prison on the allegations of battery on a LEO, Obstruction of a Police officer, and resisting arrest without violence, Kurtz adamantly proclaims his innocence and that he is a political target because of his involvement with OrlandoCopwatch.com and other activism. Please bring signs, hand outs, alert the media, tell your friends. The people must know about this persecution of a political dissident.