By B.N. Frank
Decades of research has already determined that exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMF), including from common wireless sources (cell phones, cell towers, utility “Smart” Meters, “Smart” wireless wearables, 5G, etc.), is biologically harmful. Thanks to these scientists and others for their tireless efforts to protect the public and environment from it.
Major New Paper by International Commission on Wireless Technology Presents Case For Revision of Human Exposure Limits and Calls For Immediate Moratorium on 5G
“Environmental Health Trust is thrilled to see this promising new development of some of the world’s top environmental scientists calling for an independent review of outdated wireless radiation standards.”
“In reviewing the record submitted in Environmental Health Trust et. al versus the FCC, the US Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia found that the FCC had failed to review all relevant science as of 2019. As the judges note, evidence supports the need for a serious examination of the record and revamping of these outdated standards,“ said Dr. Devra Davis, President of Environmental Health Trust.
Wireless Technology Not Adequately Assessed for Hazards to Human Health and Environment
New peer-reviewed paper presents scientific case for revision of limits
TUCSON, AZ – October 18, 2022 – The International Commission on the Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields (ICBE-EMF) is challenging the safety of current wireless exposure limits to radiofrequency radiation (RFR) and is calling for an independent evaluation.
Published today in the journal Environmental Health, “Scientific evidence invalidates health assumptions underlying the FCC and ICNIRP exposure limit determinations for radiofrequency radiation: implications for 5G,” demonstrates how the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the International Commission on Nonionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) have ignored or inappropriately dismissed hundreds of scientific studies documenting adverse health effects at exposures below the threshold dose claimed by these agencies, which was used to establish human exposure limits. The authors argue that the threshold, based on science from the 1980s – before cell phones were ubiquitous — is wrong, and these exposure limits based on this threshold do not adequately protect workers, children, people with electromagnetic hypersensitivity, and the public from exposure to the nonionizing radiation from wireless data transmission.
“Many studies have demonstrated oxidative effects associated with exposure to low-intensity RFR, and significant adverse effects including cardiomyopathy, carcinogenicity, DNA damage, neurological disorders, increased permeability of the blood-brain barrier, and sperm damage,” explains Dr. Ronald Melnick, Commission chair and a former senior toxicologist with the U.S. National Toxicology Program at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. “These effects need to be addressed in revised and health-protective exposure guidelines. Furthermore, the assumption that 5G millimeter waves are safe because of limited penetration into the body does not dismiss the need for health effects studies.”
Dr. Lennart Hardell, former professor at Örebro University Hospital in Sweden and author of more than 100 papers on non-ionizing radiation, added, “Multiple robust human studies of cell phone radiation have found increased risks for brain tumors, and these are supported by clear evidence of carcinogenicity of the same cell types found in animal studies.”
The Commission believes that an independent evaluation based on the scientific evidence with attention to the knowledge gained over the past 25 years is needed to establish lower exposure limits. The Commission is also calling for health studies to be completed prior to any future deployment of 5G networks.
Elizabeth Kelley, the Commission’s managing director, noted that “ICBE-EMF was commissioned by the advisors to the International EMF Scientist Appeal, a petition signed by more than 240 scientists who have published over 2,000 papers on EMF, biology, and health, and that “The commissioners have endorsed the Appeal’s recommendations to protect public and environmental health.”
- Press release, dated October 18, 2022
- Download Fact Sheet
- Download the paper: “Scientific evidence invalidates health assumptions underlying the FCC and ICNIRP exposure limit determinations for radio frequency radiation: implications for 5G”
- View the 15-minute slide presentation that summarizes the paper: Flawed Assumptions Regarding FCC and ICNIRP Exposure Limits for Radiofrequency Radiation (RFR)
- ICBE-EMF scientists report that exposure limits for radiofrequency (or wireless) radiation set by ICNIRP and the FCC are based on invalid assumptions and outdated science,; and are not protective of human health and wildlife.
- ICBE-EMF calls for an independent assessment of the effects and risks of radiofrequency radiation based on scientific evidence from peer-reviewed studies conducted over the past 25 years. The aim of this assessment would be to establish health-protective exposure standards for workers and the public.
- The public should be informed of the health risks of wireless radiation and encouraged to take precautions to minimize exposures, especially for children, pregnant women and people who are electromagnetically hypersensitive.
- ICBE-EMF calls for an immediate moratorium on further rollout of 5G wireless technologies until safety is demonstrated, and not simply assumed.
About the International Commission on the Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields
Founded in 2021, ICBE-EMF was commissioned by the advisors to the International EMF Scientist Appeal. The Commission is dedicated to ensuring the protection of humans and other species from the harmful effects of non-ionizing radiation. Our primary purpose is to make recommendations, based on peer-reviewed scientific research, that includes and goes beyond establishing numerical exposure guidelines to ensure safety. ICBE-EMF is made up of a multidisciplinary consortium of scientists, doctors, and related professionals who are or have been, involved with research related to the biological and health effects of electromagnetic frequencies up to and including 300 GHz.
For more background on the paper and the authors see: www.icbe-emf.org/activities.
Activist Post reports regularly about privacy invasive and unsafe technology. For more information, visit our archives and the following websites:
- Environmental Health Trust
- Physicians for Safe Technology
- Electromagnetic Radiation Safety
- Electromagnetic Health
- EMF Scientist
- Wireless Information Network
Provide, Protect and Profit from what’s coming! Get a free issue of Counter Markets today.