By B.N. Frank
Experts have been claiming for years that “Havana Syndrome” (diagnosed in American government employees and their family members) is likely being caused by exposure to electromagnetic and/or microwave energy (see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) and last month the Biden administration started providing financial compensation to victims. When people experience symptoms and illnesses after being exposed to electromagnetic fields (EMF), including microwave aka wireless “Wi-Fi” radiation from common sources, this is often referred to as Microwave Sickness, Radiation Sickness, Electromagnetic Sensitivity (ES) and/or Electromagnetic Hypersensivity (EHS). Decades of research has already determined that EMF exposure is biologically harmful and ES is recognized as a federally recognized disability in the U.S.
As more government employees report being afflicted with “Havana Syndrome” and file lawsuits, the connection to ES, etc. becomes more obvious to some credible scientists but clearly not to everyone. Perhaps as the media continues reporting about “Havana Syndrome” victims, more Americans will make the connection that they too can suffer from symptoms, illnesses, and injuries caused by exposure to common electronic and wireless sources (cell phones, cell towers, smart thermostats, Wi-Fi routers, utility “Smart” Meters, etc.).
In a CNN Special Report Immaculate Concussion: The Truth Behind Havana Syndrome, airing Sunday at 8pmET/PT, CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta investigates one of the most complex and controversial health mysteries in recent years known as “Havana Syndrome.”
The special explores a cluster of unexplained health incidents resembling concussion-like injuries, which were first reported by American officials and covert personnel serving in Havana in late 2016. The victims describe suffering from vertigo, headache, brain fog, and in some cases, pain or ringing in the ears without any apparent mechanism of injury. Since 2016, similar incidents have been reported by US government officials around the world.
But what causes the mysterious illness? Dr. David Relman, who co-authored the influential American Academy of Sciences report, concluded that microwave energy is a plausible explanation. This finding takes Gupta’s journey down an eye-opening road into how microwave energy interacts with the brain and what types of directed energy technologies are potentially capable of doing this.
CNN Special Report Immaculate Concussion: The Truth Behind Havana Syndrome will stream live for pay TV subscribers via CNN.com and CNN OTT and mobile apps under “TV Channels,” or CNNgo where available. The doc will also be available On Demand beginning Monday, September 26th, to pay TV subscribers via CNN.com, CNN apps, and Cable Operator Platforms
Microwaves and U.S. Government Employee Illness
The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Report “An Assessment of Illness in U.S. Government Employees and Their Families at Overseas Embassies” commissioned by the US State Department was released by a committee of 19 experts citing “directed, pulsed radiofrequency energy” as “the most plausible mechanism” to explain the mystery illness suffered by U.S. Embassy personnel. The New York Times describes how the report “provides the most definitive explanation yet of the illness that struck scores of government employees, first at the U.S. Embassy in Havana in 2016, and then in China and other countries. Many of the officers suffered from dizziness, fatigue, headaches, and loss of hearing, memory and balance, and some were forced into permanent retirement.”
The NAS report states that “overall, directed pulsed RF (radio frequency) energy, especially in those with the distinct early manifestations, appears to be the most plausible mechanism in explaining these cases among those that the committee considered.”
In 2018, Dr. Beatrice Golomb shared her published paper with the US State Department entitled “Diplomats’ Mystery Illness and Pulsed Radiofrequency/Microwave Radiation which states, “A tremendous number of physicians and scientists and entities and scientific studies and government reports, in many nations, over many decades, have identified that RF/MW causes symptoms consistent with the spectrum now described for diplomats.” Her paper concludes that “Reported facts appear consistent with radiofrequency microwave as the source of injury in diplomats in Cuba. Non diplomats citing symptoms from radiofrequency microwave often with an inciting pulsed-radiofrequency microwave exposure, report compatible health conditions.”
In March of 2018, JAMA published a study on the diplomats as they experienced the following symptoms:
- 43% had MRI result finding of T2 hyperintensity (bright-foci) in the white matter,
- 76% had headaches,
- 57% had nervousness,
- 76% had memory problems,
- 71% had impaired concentration,
- 67% feeling cognitively slowed,
- 86% had sleep problems, and
- 67% had irritability.
Wireless devices from cell phones, to baby monitors to Wi-Fi speakers and cell towers all emit pulsed radiofrequency microwave radiation. Although the levels emitted are lower than ICNIRP and FCC limits, they have been found to cause adverse effects in thousands of research studies which have found memory deficits, behavioral problems, brain cancer, breast cancer, DNA damage, and headaches.
In 2019, Penn Medicine researchers published new research with used advanced imaging techniques and analytics to construct statistical maps that compared the brains of healthy individuals against 40 government personnel who experienced neurological symptoms while serving in Havana, Cuba. They found key brain differences, particularly in the cerebellum, between impacted patients and healthy individuals, which may underlie clinical findings. They found statistically significant differences in brain volume, tissue properties, and connectivity between the patients and healthy control group. “There was reduced white matter volume in the affected patients, along with a pattern of differences in measures of water diffusion in the tissue. The imaging also revealed lower functional connectivity in the visuospatial and auditory subnetworks. Notably, differences in tissue volume, water diffusion, and connectivity were found in the cerebellum, the part of the brain responsible for performing voluntary tasks, such as walking and writing.”
The pattern of differences found in this study “do not resemble imaging-based investigations of any other pathology, like concussion and traumatic brain injury”
CNN Reports on Cell Phone Radiation
- “CNN Explains: Cell phones and radiation” – You love your cell phone, but is it emitting radiation that could be harmful? CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta explains (2012)
- “Cell Phone Radiation Safety Tips” – Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Anderson Cooper 360 (2013)
- “Is Your Cell Phone Safe?” – CNN News Report by Dr. Sanjay Gupta (2013)
- “Dr. Sanjay Gupta on experts warn about cell phone usage” – Dr. Gupta comments on the formal advisory issued by University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute’s Dr. Ronald Herberman (2011)
- “Cell phone, cancer study debated” – Larry King assesses the results of the INTERPHONE study and what this means for individuals using cell phones (2010)
- “Study Links Bee Decline to Cell Phones” – New research from India showing negative effects of microwave radiation on bees is discussed. (2012)
- “Protecting yourself from cell phones” – Devra Davis tells CNN’s Ali Velshi about steps consumers can take to protect themselves from cell phone radiation. (2011)
- “Are cell phones safe to use?” – Real estate agent, Alan Marks, overcomes brain cancer to fight for cell phone safety. (2011)
- “Cell phone danger higher for children” – Neurosurgeon Keith Black explains why children are at higher risk of getting brain cancer from using cell phones. (2011)
- “Breaking News: Cell phone CANCER risks” – Senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen explains recent information released by the WHO stating mobile phone radiation is a “possible carcinogen” to humans (2011)
- “Dr. Gupta breaks down WHO announcement” – CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta discusses the WHO’s announcement about a possible link between cell phones and cancer. (2011)
- “Cell Phone Dangers” – Larry King discusses an advisory released by Dr. Ronald Herberman, director of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute offering precautionary advice on cell phone radiation exposure. (2008)
- “Come clean, cell phone companies” – CNN’s Ali Velshi says cell phone companies should view the cell phone radiation study as a growth opportunity. (2011)
Learn more about cell phone radiation with Environmental Health Trust’s downloadable factsheets, infographics, podcasts and youtube videos. Scientific Evidence: Research on 5G, Cell Phones, Pregnancy, Co-Carcinogenic, Wi-Fi, Environment, Bees, Trees, Memory, Screens
- Environmental Health Trust (EHT)is a non profit think tank focused on environmental health.
- Newsletter: Sign up for EHT’s newsletter https://ehtrust.org/publications/newsletters/
- Instagram @ehtrust https://www.instagram.com/ehtrust/
- Youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/EnvironmentalHealthTrust/featured
- Twitter @saferphones https://twitter.com/saferphones
CNN Program on Wireless and Microwave Sickness
Three Part Video Series Vital Signs with Dr. Sanjay Gupta
- Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN’s Chief Medical Correspondent, has produced a new three part program on Wireless and Microwave Sickness also referred to as Electromagnetic Sensitivity. T
- Part 1 Welcome to the National Quiet Zone (9-minute video)
- Part 2 : Reducing Wireless Exposure (7-minute video)
- Part 3 : Living in the National Quiet Zone (5-minute video)
Activist Post is Google-Free
Support for just $1 per month at Patreon or SubscribeStar
In 2021, a federal court ruled in favor of organizations and petitioners that sued the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for NOT adequately protecting Americans from wireless radiation exposure (including 5G). Non-profit groups also petitioned the U.S. Health and Human Services Department (HHS) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to declare wireless radiation an “imminent” health hazard and start warning the public. So far neither agency has taken action. Instead, the countless Americans experiencing symptoms, illnesses, and injuries from EMF exposure from common sources continue to be mostly disregarded and/or marginalized by the government agencies and health organizations that are supposed to protect and support them as well as “Havana Syndrome” victims (see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15).
Activist Post reports regularly about “Havana Syndrome”, ES, EHS, Microwave Sickness, Radiation Sickness, and unsafe technology. For more information, visit our archives and the following websites:
- Environmental Health Trust
- Electromagnetic Radiation Safety
- Physicians for Safe Technology
- We Are The Evidence
- Wireless Information Network
- Americans for Responsible Technology
Provide, Protect and Profit from what’s coming! Get a free issue of Counter Markets today.