By B.N. Frank
Opposition to “Smart Cities” is worldwide due to various major risks and privacy violations associated with living in, working in, and visiting them (see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). Opposition to 5G is also worldwide due to multiple serious and potentially catastrophic risks (see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10). In fact, cities AND entire countries have taken action to ban, delay, halt, and limit 5G installation AS WELL AS issue moratoriums. Last but not least, for many years already, experts have warned about confirmed dangerous risks and vulnerabilities associated with Internet of Things (IoT) technology as well (see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). Nevertheless, AT&T has plans for D.C that includes all of the above and more.
From Fierce Wireless:
AT&T, JBG Smith disclose plans for at-scale 5G smart city
AT&T on Tuesday said it signed a letter of intent with real-estate owner and developer JBG Smith to build the first at-scale 5G smart city in the U.S.
A definitive agreement is expected in the coming weeks.
The 5G smart city is planned for the Washington, D.C., area, in National Landing – described as central location of three neighborhoods including Pentagon City, Crystal City and Potomac Yard (and home to Amazon’s second headquarters).
AT&T plans to use both sub-6 GHz and millimeter wave 5G, with initial infrastructure deployments slated to start in the first half of 2022. From there they’ll expand as the community is built out.
In National Landing, JBG Smith has a portfolio of existing mixed-use properties, with 6.8 million square feet of office space and 2,856 residential units. There are 808 units under construction and 7.2 million square feet of additional space that could be developed into commercial, multi-family and retail locations.
The carrier said it could serve as a prototype for smart cities of the future, with an eye on applications like self-driving vehicles, immersive retail and entertainment, building automation and environmental sustainability.
Plans look to combine mmWave and sub-6 GHz capabilities thanks to interconnected infrastructure that includes building side-mounts, street furniture and underground network assets. It would cover the submarket across Arlington and Alexandria, Virginia.
Grassroots organization Whatis5G.Info has identified 9 ways that 5G and IoT will harm humans, the environment, and Earth:
- Health – The robust and growing independent science shows harms to our health from microwave radiation
- Privacy – The invasion of our privacy from the collection and mining of our digital data
- Cyber Security -The fast growing and devastating cyber security risks
- Environment – The harms to wildlife, particularly bees, butterflies and other pollinators
- Energy – The huge energy consumption to produce and power a wireless Internet of Things
- Brains and Humanity – The effects on our brains and humanity from humans increasingly inhabiting the cyber world
- E-Waste – The astronomical e-waste that will be generated from connecting virtually every “thing” to the Internet
- Conflict Minerals – 5G and the IoT will vastly grow our dependence on conflict minerals, which have brought about the death of close to 6 million people
- Ethics — Ethical issues arising from the IoT. New human rights laws are being being considered; how should humans relate to robots and AI? The blurring of what was once a clear delineation between technology and humans
In May, scientists submitted a letter to President Biden asking him to protect the public from 5G and other unsafe technology. Americans opposed to 5G may click here to sign a letter asking the Biden administration to stop deployment immediately.
Good luck, D.C.
Activist Post reports regularly about “Smart Cities”, 5G, IoT, and other unsafe technology. For more information visit our archives and the following websites:
- Americans for Responsible Technology
- 5G Free
- 5G Information
- Wireless Information Network
- Environmental Health Trust
- Physicians for Safe Technology
- Scientists for Wired Tech
Provide, Protect and Profit from what’s coming! Get a free issue of Counter Markets today.