By B.N. Frank
For many years, American Academy of Pediatrics and other health experts (see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) have warned that children are especially vulnerable to wireless radiation exposure. Sources include Bluetooth, cell phones, cell towers, “Smart” home appliances and devices (see 1, 2), wearables (see 1, 2), utility “Smart” meters (electric, gas, and water), WiFi routers, and more.
Health professionals in Cyprus, Greece continue to raise awareness about the steps they are taking to protect children.
Video Release: Archbishop Makarios III Hospital, Cyprus Reduces Wi-Fi and Wireless in Pediatric and Neonatal Units
Jan 31, 2021
Pilot Program: Reducing Wireless Radiofrequency at Archbishop Makarios III Hospital, Cyprus
“WE ARE REDUCING THE DIRECT AND PASSIVE EXPOSURE TO NON-IONISING RADIATION EMITTED FROM CELL-PHONES AND Wi-Fi AT THE ARCHBISHOP MAKARIOS III HOSPITAL – WE ARE PROTECTING THE CHILDREN”
The Directorate and doctors of Archbishop Makarios III Hospital, taking into account the scientific documentation on the impact of wireless communication on children, and the concerns of the medical world, decided to implement the above project, adopting the Precautionary Principle. This initiative, that has started from the Pediatric Intensive Therapy Unit (PITU), comprises a first step towards “the development of the Archbishop Makarios III Hospital as an international model/pioneer hospital that applies the PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE, reducing the exposure of children to the radiation of wireless communication»
The pilot application/research has been completed in the PITU, and has also been directly implemented in the Neonatal Intensive Therapy Unit (NITU), with a prospective extension to other units. The main findings are:
- The use of Wi-Fi creates levels of continuous and uninterrupted passive, as well as significant active exposure, at levels much higher than documented biologically-based precautionary/safety criteria. Passive exposure from the router measured at distances from 0-10m with isometric and Directional antenna ranging from 1070-20000μW/m2 and 420-14000 μW/m2 respectively. After the disconnection of Wi-Fi and the use of wired connection, exposure dramatically dropped to “safe” levels below (10-100μW/m2) biologically-based safe limits. It has been shown also that the active exposure to the user by downloading video at a distance of 0.3m was extremely high reaching levels in the range of 9000-26000 μW/m2 . Downloading the same video with mobile data created considerable higher exposure ranging from 113,000-190,000 μW/m2. On the contrary when the same video was downloaded via ethernet the levels were ranging 0-59 μW/m2 well below the proposed day time guidance levels by EUROPEM2016 and is probably attributed to environmental/ background radiation existing at the Hospital. Therefore, wired internet connection should be the only acceptable solution in a hospital
- The avoidance of carrying and using mobile phones, especially “smart” phones, by parents and staff in children chambers, is the second most important and essential factor in reducing exposure..
- The situation in the Neonatal Intensive Therapy Unit, where there was no Wi-Fi signal or router, near the chambers, was excellent with almost non measurable levels, clearly within safety limits. The unit has all the potential to directly emerge as a Model Unit with Low Exposure, an oasis for safe hospitalization, provided that parents and staff enter the chambers with their phones switched in flight mode or without them.
- The pilot campaign indicated the problem of ignorance within staff and parents and the underestimation of risks, as well as the lack of knowledge on good practices about the Prophylaxis of children and the reduction of their Exposure.
- The Archbishop Makarios Hospital has two basic factors which can ensure the applicability of the Project and its extension to other Units:
- The existing excellent system of wired networks throughout the hospital, and
- The fact that as we found from preliminary measurements, radiation from the existing antennas – base stations in the hospital due to their location is relatively limited and the levels of radiation are primarily determined by the use of Wi-Fi, mobile phones and mobile data. Therefore, with the use of wired internet and limiting the use of mobile phones and other wireless devices, it is possible to achieve a hospitalization environment at biologically safe and sustainable exposure levels.
We plan gradual implementation of the measures to the other Units of Paediatric and Gynecology Clinics The status quo regarding the location of antennas should at all costs be maintained, and the addition of new 3G/4G antennas should be avoided. It is also important to protect the Archbishop Makarios III Hospital, and other hospitals from any 5G development. The placement of 5G antennas near the Hospital must be prohibited. Any needs for medical application can be only served via wired connections to 5G through optical fibers. Mobile telephony to the minimum extent needed can be served through the existing 3G/4G networks.
Dr. Stella Canna Michaelidou
President, Cyprus National Committee on Environment and Child Health, Cyprus
The initiative and the inspiration for the project was drawn collectively by the two intensivists, Dr. A. Sergis and Dr. A. Cleanthous, and the President of the National Committee, Dr. S.C. Michaelidou, who coordinates and supports the Project. Dr. A. Neophytou and Dr. A. Elia immediately embraced and supported it. Dr Th. Metsis, Electrical and Mechanical Engineer with expertise in Electro-smog, participated on a voluntary basis, by providing consultancy services for sampling and evaluating the measurements. The cooperation of Mrs T. Nikolaidou, Head of the Nursing Staff, all doctors and staff of the PITU and NITU, and the National Committee was significant.
Cyprus has a Directorate to remove Wi-Fi from elementary schools, reduced RF in pediatric wards of Archbishop Makarios Hospital and launched multiple pubic awareness campaigns and support a strong educational initiative to educate children and families about cell phones and wireless radiation. They have developed comprehensive brochures for public health and video public service announcements regarding the issue. They also have clear guidance on how to hardwire computers.
Please take the time to read through these initiatives and watch some video’s of Dr. Stella Michaelidou , President of the Cyprus National Committee on Environment and Child Health lecture on their Health Initiatives. Comprehensive educational brochures are uploaded at the end of this page in English and Greek. If you choose to translate these brochures please share this with the Cyprus committee and Environmental Health Trust so we can distribute them.
2019 News: Petition against 5G in Cyprus
2020 Cyprus National Committee on the Environment and Child Health issues guide to reduce Wi-Fi exposure to children during COVID. The guide explains how to hardwire internet for computers. Read it here.
2019 “Don’t Irradiate Me” Cyprus Children’s Health Campaign to Reduce Direct and Passive Wireless Radiation Exposure to Children. The new safety campaign involves posters, leaflets and large scale signs on buses.
- Cyprus Children’s Health and Wireless Poster for Bus Greek
- Cyprus Children’s Health and Wireless Poster for Bus English
- Cyprus Children’s Health and Wireless Leaflet Greek
- Cyprus Children’s Health and Wireless Awareness Leaflet English
- Press Release Children’s Health Campaign to Reduce Direct and Passive Wireless Radiation Exposure to Children, Press Conference: 24th of June 2019, 11:30 am, at the Ministry of Health
- Cyprus Committee Brochure (16 page )on How to reduce Wireless at Home in Greek
- The Cyprus National Committee on Environment and Children’s Health http://paidi.com.cy/
- CyprusCyprus National Committee on Environment and Child Health Brochure on Electromagnetic Fields in Greek
- CyprusCyprus National Committee on Environment and Child Health Brochure on Electromagnetic Fields in English
Activist Post reports regularly about unsafe technology. For more information, visit our archives and the following websites:
- Electromagnetic Radiation Safety
- Environmental Health Trust
- Physicians for Safe Technology
- Wireless Information Network
Subscribe to Activist Post for truth, peace, and freedom news. Send resources to the front lines of peace and freedom HERE! Follow us on Telegram, SoMee, HIVE, Flote, Minds, MeWe, Twitter, Gab and Ruqqus.
Provide, Protect and Profit from what’s coming! Get a free issue of Counter Markets today.