By B.N. Frank
According to a lawsuit and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman, all Americans have already paid to have high-speed internet where they live (see 1, 2, 3, 4). Regardless, the FCC is giving telecoms $8B more to install 5G in rural areas even though it is NOT safe or necessary for high-speed internet.
From Fierce Wireless:
FCC adopts 5G rural fund, new coverage maps still needed
The Report and Order adopted Tuesday at the FCC’s open meeting sets up the 5G Fund for Rural America that includes up to $8 billion in Universal Service Fund (USF) dollars to be awarded in the first phase of a multi-round reverse auction for 5G buildouts over 10 years. These are focused on parts of the country that don’t have unsubsidized 4G LTE or 5G mobile service. Of that, $650 million is allocated for providers that plan to serve Tribal lands. The second phase provides at least $1 billion for deployments for precision agriculture technologies and areas remaining after Phase 1.
The FCC called out these components of the new 5G Fund:
- When determining eligible locations, it appears the FCC will exclude areas where T-Mobile committed to deploy 5G service as part of its merger-related agreement approval of its Sprint deal. That includes covering 90% of rural Americans within six years. The FCC says this will avoid overbuilding and wasting resources.
- The reverse auction will factor in and adjust for areas that are particularly expensive to deploy or don’t have a good business case, because of things like rugged terrain or low population, to ensure they can compete in the auction.
- Winning bidders of the 5G Fund have to deliver 5G mobile broadband speeds of at least 35 Mbps downloads and 3 Mbps uploads, and meet deployment benchmarks starting in the third year, and final milestones by the end of year six.
- Carriers that get legacy mobile high-cost support have to start spending an increasing portion of their $368 million in funds to deliver 5G in rural areas that considered more expensive to support.
High-speed internet is safer with a wired internet connection (see 1, 2). Unfortunately, the FCC was a corrupt and “captured agency before Trump was elected and has become much worse ever since. Lawsuits have been filed against them for NOT protecting the public from unsafe levels of radiation as well as 5G on Earth (see 1, 2, 3, 4) and in space.
The agency refuses to update 24-year-old federal wireless radiation exposure guidelines. Doctors and scientists have asked MANY TIMES and again recently that health and environmental risks from radiation from 5G, cell towers and other wireless sources be evaluated by experts with no conflicts of interest (see also 1, 2, 3). Nope.
American opposition to 5G is not limited to biological and environmental risks (see 1, 2). Federal agencies and credible experts have warned that it will threaten jobs, national security, public safety, and weather forecasting accuracy (see 1, 2). Congress members have addressed the FCC about safety concerns (see 1, 2). In addition to municipalities filing lawsuits against the agency, they have passed resolutions to ban 5G until studies prove it’s safe (see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) and ordinances to limit and/or control installation. State representatives in Hawaii and Illinois have introduced 5G bills to protect constituents.
In 2019, telecom executives gave U.S. congressional testimony that they had NO independent scientific evidence that 5G is safe. The majority of scientists worldwide oppose deployment. Cities worldwide AND entire countries have taken action to ban, delay, halt, and limit installation AS WELL AS issue moratoriums.
Nevertheless, Trump is still advocating a nationalized 5G plan and the FCC is giving telecoms additional billions to install it. That’s not making America great.
Become an Activist Post Patron for $1 per month at Patreon.
Activist Post reports regularly about 5G and other unsafe technology. For more information visit our archives and the following websites.
- 5G Information
- 5G Space Appeal
- Stop 5G International
- The 5G Summit
- Environmental Health Trust
- Physicians for Safe Technology
- Telecom Power Grab
- Wireless Information Network
Provide, Protect and Profit from what’s coming! Get a free issue of Counter Markets today.