By B.N. Frank
Tens of millions of utility “Smart” Meters – electric, gas, and water – have been installed on homes and throughout communities in the U.S. and worldwide. They have been plagued with so many problems that a documentary was produced about them in 2013 and then revised and re-released in 2017.
Because of their increasingly bad reputation, many utility companies don’t call them “Smart” anymore in order to confuse customers. HOWEVER, most of the costs for their installation AND their replacements have been and continue to be passed onto customers. Fires, explosions, and malfunctioning and breaking appliances are associated with these meters (see 1, 2. 3. 4). Electromagnetic Radiation (aka “Electrosmog”) emitted from them can make people, plants and animals sick (see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5).
Unfortunately, utility companies are fighting to keep installing them because “Smart” Meters collect customer usage data 24/7, whereas original analog meters DO NOT. They use that data to try to market more products and services to customers and/or sell it to 3rd parties. Feeling violated yet?
- Many residents in Fairfield, Iowa, home to thousands of disciples of a deceased Indian guru, claim that radiation emitted by cell phones and other devices is harmful to human health.
- Those beliefs created a problem for a local utility that began deploying radiation-emitting smart meters in 2017.
- Through administrative proceedings, Fairfield residents fought back against the utility’s smart meter program — and, for the most part, won.
- At its core, the fight wasn’t about the health effects of smart meters. It was about the freedom to exercise a set of beliefs, as unusual as they may be.
For the power company, smart meters are the future, offering big savings and granular info about energy use. For some residents of my hometown, they pose an unacceptable health risk.
But the fight against them was about something much bigger: protecting a way of life and the freedom to exercise a set of beliefs that big corporations and advancing technologies put at risk.
Still want these horrible devices installed on your home?
Activist Post reports regularly about “Smart” Meters and other unsafe technology. For more information, visit our archives and the following websites:
- Coalition to Stop Smart Meters
- EMF Safety Network
- Smart Grid Awareness
- Take Back Your Power
- The People’s Initiative
- Wireless Information Network
Provide, Protect and Profit from what’s coming! Get a free issue of Counter Markets today.