By B.N. Frank
When it rains, it pours…
Activist Post reported last week about meteorologists warning about 5G interfering with weather forecasting. Now the U.S. Navy is chiming in with the same concerns AND including objections raised also by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
A US Navy memo warns that 5G mobile networks are likely to interfere with weather satellites, and senators are urging the Federal Communications Commission to avoid issuing new spectrum licenses to wireless carriers until changes are made to prevent harms to weather forecasting.
The FCC has already begun an auction of 24GHz spectrum that would be used in 5G networks. But Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) today wrote a letter to FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, asking him to avoid issuing licenses to winning bidders “until the FCC approves the passive band protection limits that the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) determine are necessary to protect critical satellite‐based measurements of atmospheric water vapor needed to forecast the weather.”
The memo topic is “Operational impacts from potential loss of NOAA/NASA METOC [meteorology and oceanography] satellite data resulting from the FCC spectrum auction for 5G.” The Navy memo summarizes the problem as follows:
- Remotely sensed observations (water vapor) may be degraded or lost due to growing interference from the broader adoption of 5G; specifically, in the 24GHz bands.
- Naval operations will continue but with a probable degradation of weather and ocean models, resulting in increased risk in Safety of Flight and Safety of Navigation, and degraded Battlespace Awareness for tactical / operational advantage.
[…]The Navy’s concerns are shared by meteorologists quoted in a recent Nature article.
The Telecom Industry has provided no scientific evidence that 5G is biologically or environmentally safe. There’s research that says it isn’t safe. Security experts are also voicing opposition to 5G due cybersecurity risks.
Yet some folks are still blaming Russia for American 5G opposition.
For more information, visit the following websites:
- Wireless Information Network
- Americans for Responsible Technology
- 5G Information
- Environmental Health Trust
- In Power Movement
- Last Tree Laws
- My Street, My Choice
- Our Town Our Choice
- Physicians for Safe Technology
- Scientists for Wired Tech
Be Free and Independent! Get a free issue of Counter Markets today.
Image credit: Pixabay