Chad Chadwick, a Texas man with a clean record, is still trying to live down the multiple nightmares unleashed upon him by a SWAT team three years ago. Because none of those nightmares ended with the lurid and violent raid.
What would precipitate a raid for someone who had never broken the law? A tip, of course. Apparently, a friend reported him to the Missouri City police concerning his emotional well-being. When someone’s down and out – who you gonna call? None other than SWAT – who eagerly went down to business.
They decided they needed some semblance of justification to SWAT this guy. So they unequivocally fabricated a complete lie to a judge in order to get approval.
They knew this was untrue – they came up with it. My Fox Houston also claims that SWAT was aware of his owning a single shotgun, with which he had never threatened anyone.
So on the night of September 27th, 2011 they arrived while Chadwick was napping in the bathtub.
(How do they always know when you’re in the shower?)
This is the series of events:
- SWAT kicks in door, launches stun grenade into bathroom
- Storms into bathroom
- Naked Chad’s hands are up so they shoot him with a 40 millimeter non-lethal round
- Launch second stun grenade
- Lights are out, four or five guys behind a shield pin Chad against the wall and “beat the crap out of” him
- Officers shoot him in the back of the head with a Taser, point blank range
- Grabbed him by one hand and grabbed him by testicles and slammed his face to the floor
- Beat him some more
They claimed he had “drew down with a shampoo bottle and a body wash bottle.”
Series of events that followed:
- Taken to Ft. Bend County Jail with fractured nose, bruised ribs and permanent hearing loss
- Held in isolation for two entire days
- Apparently not taken to hospital
Oh, this is still not over….
- District Attorney John Healy began a series of concocted criminal charges – that stem from the raid!
- Two felony counts of assaulting a police officer (!)
Misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest (this is the everyman’s charge) – they called over a dozen officers to testify that he resisted arrest.
And finally – just one month ago a jury found him not guilty of interfering with police…they proceeded to hug the poor guy!
Chadwick attributes the loss of his kids, his hearing as well as being financially bankrupted as a result of the raid and ensuing litigation where he was repeatedly forced to defend himself from charges of a raid that was based on a lie.
When asked if taxpayers had been bankrupted for these events, Healy said he “wasn’t keeping tally.” Healy stands by all of his prosecutions.
Any repercussions to the force assembled from multiple cities? Any consequences for lying to a judge? Any retribution for almost killing an unarmed, naked man in his bathtub and then locking him up in isolation? For destroying his whole life?
No, because they aggressively litigate in return and the victim must then put all energy into defense. All focus goes to what happened to the victim after the fact, not on why these people are all still on the force and receiving paychecks.
These cops are out of control. They are ruining good people’s lives. I am a good man. I have done everything I can to show that, as a father, as a citizen, as a worker.
Readers: we wish this was a satire but it’s entirely too real and too common. Please share this with friends, especially the kind who hero-ize SWAT thinking they only go after criminals. In all honesty it could be them sharing a story like this someday.
Recently from Amanda Warren: