James Smith, Contributor
In trying to make sense of the ammunition purchases (which DHS/ICE canceled the orders for blank .308 rounds. 25,000 rounds, by the way), I decided to match apples to apples for fairness.
What I found fails the smell test of common sense and reason. But we are talking about the largest grab of brass and lead of all time by a man who only knows how a weapon fires from his time in “Pock-Is-Stan”.
- Can company produce ammunition with cartridge cases that are uniquely colored to ready distinguish them from DHS duty ammunition.
- Can company produce individual packaging boxes uniquely colored to ready distinguish them from DHS duty ammunition.
- Can company produce training ammunition capable of accuracy comparable to current duty ammunition standards?
- Can company manufacturer 30 million rounds of this training ammunition annually?
Remember, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is the largest investigative agency in the Department of Homeland Security, and is responsible for enforcing the nation’s immigration and customs laws. ICE has more than 20,000 employees working in 400 offices in the U.S. and around the world.
However, just using the large multi-year purchases, there is a problem with their ammunition uses.
Look at this chart:
|Solicit#||Caliber||Year Bought||Sum Used to date||2012 Sum||Sum remaining|
What this means is that for the 20,000 employees of ICE, they will have at their disposal 215,000,000 rounds of ammunition, to detain 33,330 inmates for Fiscal Year 2011.
What happened to last year’s 215 million rounds? Or the year before that? Perhaps it went to training? Not necessarily the case. This is from an email I received from H.R.P.
CBP agents fire 72 rounds of handgun ammo per qualification. Multiply that by 20,000 and you get 1,440,000. For the four quals each year you arrive at 5,760,000 rounds of handgun ammo for CBP alone. This does not include issue of ammo for practice and proficiency.
As I started the article, a comparison of apples needs to be made. The nearest body that would be closest to ICE is the Bureau of Prisons. From their website:
The Bureau has approximately 37,700 highly motivated individuals working in 115 correctional institutions across the country, and approximately 217,000 Federal offenders are confined by BOP.”
It should be noted that BOP has 17,000 more employees, manages 6.5 times more inmates, and in less facilities.
So what are the BOP’s ammunition purchases since 2003? Mind you, the chart is only since 2009:
- 200,000 rounds, 9mm Luger, 115 grain, jacketed-hollow-point ammunition.
- 9MM Luger 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point (1,000,000 each);
- 12 Gauge #4 Buckshot 27 Pellets (160,000 each);
- 12 Gauge #7 ½ shot (160,000 each);
- 12 Gauge Rifled Slug 1 oz. (80,000 each);
- Cartridge .308 168 Grain Boat Tail (80,000 each);
- 9MM Luger 115 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point (1,000,000 each);
- 223 Caliber 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket (1,500,000 each);
- 9MM Luger 124 Grain Jacket Ball (1,000,000 each)
Aug 17, 2006 $ 56,517 – No quantities given
July 7, 2003 $226,000 Total ammunition 5,380,000 rounds
- Cartridge, 9mm Luger, 115 Grain, Silvertip Hollow Point: 1,000,000 rounds;
- Cartridge, 9mm Luger, 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point: 1,000,000 rounds;
- Cartridge, 9mm Luger, 124 Grain FMJ/Ball: 1,000,000 rounds;
- Cartridge, 12 Gauge #4 Buckshot, 27 Pellets, Compression Formed STSH: 160,000 rounds;
- Cartridge, 12 Gauge #6 Shot Size 2-3/4″ Length, 3 Dram Equivalent: 160,000
- Cartridge, 12 Gauge #7-1/2 Shot Size 2-3/4″ Length, 3 Dram Equivalent: 160,000 rounds;
- Cartridge, 12 Gauge #8 Shot Size 2-3/4″ Length, 3 Dram Equivalent: 160,000 rounds
- Cartridge, 12 Gauge Rifled Slug, 1 ounce weight: 80,000 rounds;
- Cartridge .223 55 Grain, Full Metal Jacket: 1,500,000 rounds;
- Cartridge, 30-06 168 Grain, JHP Boat Tail: 80,000 rounds; and
- Cartridge, .308 168 Grain JHP Boat Tail: 80,000 rounds
Grand total of cost for the last 10 years: 7,574,517, or 1/5 the cost of one ammunition purchase by DHS/ICE.
DHS is a bloated entity, hellbent on scaring innocent people. Airports, trains, online – the very agency that is to “protect” us from terror, terrorizes us all.
“Obey, or it will be the FEMA camps for you!” may be the next threat out of some jackbooted thug who just falls into the latest line of useful idiots for the tyrants of history.
Fear not though. All tyrants fall. The 21st-century versions will fall just as well, if not harder and faster. Keep the faith.
This article first appeared at Prepper Podcast Radio Network.
Read other articles by James Smith HERE.
James is a father of four and grandfather to four. He and his wife of almost 30 years have been prepping since 2003. They live in a small town, with neighbors as close as 10 feet away and have raised chickens for 2 years covertly on less than 1/5 of an acre. He is a former corrections officer, insurance fraud investigator, and he served in the Navy for 6 years. He currently works for a corporation dealing with the disabled population and their benefits. He is the host of The Covert Prepper show and the Prepper Podcast Radio Network News, both heard on Blogtalk Radio.