If Pfizer has its way, your child’s gummy bears may be replaced with chewable Lipitor
The exploitation of children for the sake of profit is yet another loathsome strategy drug manufacturers are willing to deploy, this time for the purpose of extending Lipitor’s patent to hold off generic brand competition.
We are already drugging children into complacency with psychotropic stimulants such as Ritalin if they are bored or distracted in the classroom, and devastating their developing immune systems with massive amounts of sugary drinks and a growing barrage of mercury-laden vaccines.
The following trends are quite disturbing:
- According to one study, American children take antipsychotic medications at six times the rate of U.K. children.
- One in four American kids takes a prescription drug for a chronic health condition.
- One in five teens has high cholesterol.
- Heartburn and acid reflux medications among adolescents has jumped 147 percent since 2001.
- Girls aged 10 to 19 taking medications for type 2 diabetes has jumped almost 200 percent in the past nine years.
- Children and adolescents make up the leading growth category for the pharmaceutical industry, with increases nearly four times higher than those seen in the rest of the population.