According to Patient.co.uk / Mumps, these are some of the other health problems that can occur:
- The testes (testicles) are sometimes affected. One testis may become inflamed, swollen, and painful for about a week. This is uncommon in young children. However, about 1 in 4 males who get mumps over the age of 12 years will develop a painful swollen testis. Occasionally, both testes are affected. In very rare cases this may cause infertility.
- Brain inflammation (encephalitis or meningitis) is an uncommon complication. It typically causes drowsiness, headache, stiff neck, wanting to keep out of the light and vomiting. Although alarming, meningitis caused by the mumps virus usually clears without any treatment after a few days, without any long-term problems.
- Hearing loss can sometimes occur in people with mumps. This is usually only transient and usually improves with time. Very rarely, mumps can cause permanent deafness.
- Inflammation of the pancreas, heart, and other organs are rare complications.
- If you develop mumps in the first 12 weeks of a pregnancy, it may increase the risk of miscarriage. (However, the mumps virus is not thought to cause malformations or defects in an unborn baby.) 
However, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health Fact Sheet about Mumps has this to say, which parents and adults should know and take seriously:
People who have serious allergies to gelatin, the drug neomycin, or a previous dose of the vaccine.
Pregnant women or women who are trying to get pregnant within 4 weeks should not get MMR vaccine until after they deliver their babies.
People with cancer, HIV, or other problems or treatments that weaken the immune system should check with their doctor or nurse before getting vaccinated.
People who have recently had a transfusion or were given other blood products should check with their doctor or nurse before getting vaccinated.
People with high fevers should not be vaccinated until after the fever and other symptoms are gone. 
Every healthcare website and agency promotes being vaccinated with at least one dose of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine. According to Patient.co.uk, this should be noted:
The immune system makes antibodies during the infection. These clear the virus and then provide lifelong immunity. It is therefore very rare to have more than one episode of mumps.  [CJF emphasis added]
That information is most valuable because with the MMR vaccine, two doses are now required in childhood according to the U.S. CDC.  Furthermore, the MMR vaccines are the one vaccine that parents can point to as when their children lost it and never were the same again. However, that two-dose prophylactic protocol does not seem to be working well at Ohio State University, or elsewhere. Moreover, in 2013 the MMR vaccine was re-introduced on to the Adult Immunization Schedule of Vaccinations, which readers can check out in the Resources section at the end of this blog.
Here’s something that may explain why adults need to be re-vaccinated for mumps and other infectious childhood diseases. It’s taken off the CDC’s website:
7. Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccination
• Adults born before 1957 are generally considered immune to measles and mumps. All adults born in 1957 or later should have documentation of 1 or more doses of MMR vaccine unless they have a medical contraindication to the vaccine or laboratory evidence of immunity to each of the three diseases. Documentation of provider- diagnosed disease is not considered acceptable evidence of immunity for measles, mumps, or rubella.  [CJF emphasis added]
What healthcare consumers don’t know is that there are bloods tests that can prove immunity to communicable diseases that can excuse receiving unnecessary vaccinations, thereby avoiding neurotoxins and other toxic chemicals being injected into you or your children. You have every legal right to exercise laboratory evidence of immunity. More parents ought to seek this route before just giving in to mandatory vaccinations, I think. See what the San Francisco Department of Health says about that:
A blood test can provide proof of immunity, which helps you avoid getting unnecessary vaccines. See our information sheet: Testing for Immunity to Vaccine-Preventable Diseases.
AITC can check your immunity to:
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Measles / Mumps / Rubella
- Yellow fever
You can be infected with hepatitis B and not know it. AITC offers testing to determine your hepatitis B infection status. See our information sheet: Testing for Hepatitis B Infection. Consider hepatitis B testing if you answer yes to any of the following:
Were you or your parents born in Asia, Pacific Islands, Africa, Eastern Europe, or the Amazon Basin in South America?
Have you had a sex partner with hepatitis B or lived in the same household as someone with hepatitis B?
Are you a male who has had sex with males?
Results are available within 2-5 business days. We will mail or fax your results; you may discuss your results with an AITC nurse by phone or in person, at no additional charge.
Blood testing is offered daily on a drop-in basis; no appointment is necessary-but we recommend that you arrive at least 1 hour before closing to allow us time to process your sample.
There is a cost for each test, plus a small fee to draw your blood. See prices. [4b]
So, why are those born before 1957 generally considered immune to measles and mumps? Probably because nearly all children contracted those diseases almost like a “rite of passage” and obtained what’s considered lifelong immunity due to the immune system working as Nature intended building natural immunity. Another plus was that females were able to pass along immune factors during pregnancy and breast feeding. Why 1957? The reason probably is because that may have been a “high water mark” year due to a flu vaccine that was introduced and which apparently caused some problems. Thereafter, the vaccination craze began, took off, and the rest is unfortunate for the human immune system, in my opinion.
Getting back to the current situation, according to Reuters, who mentions information from a university spokesperson, of the 28 people contracting mumps, ALL but one person had at least one dose of the vaccine!  Statistically, that’s 96.4% of those who contracted mumps, which is not an anomaly since in any outbreaks of communicable infectious diseases for which there are vaccines, 90% or more consistently are the very ones who contract the disease. How can health authorities blame that on the unvaccinated? Why aren’t vaccines protecting vaccinees from contracting the very communicable diseases for which they have been vaccinated – sometimes more than once? Good question?
Statistically and possibly, about 5% or more will never get “protection” from measles, mumps or rubella from being vaccinated with the Merck MMR vaccine, and probably virtually no protection for mumps, which goes back years, based upon a lawsuit’s allegations. 
Persons contract vaccine-covered diseases because upon exposure to a vaccine, each person’s immune system responds differently to the vaccine’s components, including the adjuvants and adventitious components it contains, which is mitigated by the person’s genetics, epigenetics, and his/her current nutritional and health status. Furthermore, the more vaccines an individual receives, the more likely it is that individual will contract more diseases since the immune system, basically, is compromised and tagged to the antigenic substances it contains that lead to the antibodies produced by the adaptive immune system’s components rather than the few overall immune factors normally produced by both the adaptive and the innate immune system in response to an infection in which the disease organisms replicate and spread.
The human immune system, mostly the adaptive portion, is being reprogrammed over and over again by mandated vaccinations since the 1980s to respond to antigens. They result from the vaccine producing what’s called an accelerated antigen response, which Big Pharma considers vaccine immunity. Well, the fact that so many vaccinated individuals contract the very diseases for which they are vaccinated is glaring proof that the human immune system doesn’t want to be reprogrammed, so there are breakdowns, including contracting chronic and autoimmune diseases due to the apparent reprogramming of the immune system.
Another complicating factor is that micro-organisms are becoming sophisticated and reprogramming themselves – similar to what antibiotics enabled bacteria to morph into – so there never will be a correct vaccine to provide immunity. The only thing that truly will happen is further breakdown of the human immune system.
If federal health agencies, medicine, and vaccine makers really wanted to provide protective immunity for the population before it’s too late, here’s what they should do:
- Revamp the entire food industry from top to bottom, especially agriculture and ban GMO edibles. Notice I don’t refer to them as food. GMO crops nutrient content is questionable, plus they supply an inordinate amount of toxic herbicides.
- Embrace sustainable agriculture and employ those individuals in federal agencies who understand and promote life-giving food, rather than contaminated ersatz food!
- Remove fluoride from all municipal water supply systems nationwide.
- Stop chemtrail spraying overhead, which rains down toxic chemicals and minerals, including aluminum that destroys crop nutrient values.
- Initiate an advertising campaign slanted toward holistic health lifestyles and practices.
- Ban ‘silver’ amalgam dental fillings, plus mercury from all pharmaceuticals, vaccines, and medical procedures and devices.
- Teach people about proper hygiene, how disease organisms are spread, and that maintaining a healthy immune system is the key to not getting sick.
- Stop mandatory vaccine programs. Make vaccines voluntary for those who want them.
Perhaps, their new healthy-lifestyle advertising slogan could be “Let food by thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” That may not be so new a slogan since Hippocrates [c.460-370 B.C.] preached it millennia ago. Why aren’t they listening?
Public Health Fact Sheet / Mumps / Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) Recommended Immunization Schedule for Adults Aged 19 Years and Older — United States, 2013 http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/mmwr-adult-schedule.pdf
Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule – 2014
Catherine J Frompovich (website) is a retired natural nutritionist who earned advanced degrees in Nutrition and Holistic Health Sciences, Certification in Orthomolecular Theory and Practice plus Paralegal Studies. Her work has been published in national and airline magazines since the early 1980s. Catherine authored numerous books on health issues along with co-authoring papers and monographs with physicians, nurses, and holistic healthcare professionals. She has been a consumer healthcare researcher 35 years and counting.
Catherine’s latest book, published October 4, 2013, is Vaccination Voodoo, What YOU Don’t Know About Vaccines, available on Amazon.com.
Her 2012 book A Cancer Answer, Holistic BREAST Cancer Management, A Guide to Effective & Non-Toxic Treatments, is available on Amazon.com and as a Kindle eBook.
Two of Catherine’s more recent books on Amazon.com are Our Chemical Lives And The Hijacking Of Our DNA, A Probe Into What’s Probably Making Us Sick (2009) and Lord, How Can I Make It Through Grieving My Loss, An Inspirational Guide Through the Grieving Process (2008).