The Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA) is claiming that it has learned from a credible source that Illinois State Senate President John Cullerton plans to introduce an “assault weapons” ban on Wednesday January 2nd during the course of the “lame duck” session.
Cullerton’s apparent strategy is to ram the bill through the Illinois State Congress during the “lame duck” and provide the passed version to Governor Quinn by Friday for signing. Quinn is, of course, a notorious gun grabber.
If the bill passes, according to the ISRA, “nearly every gun you [Illinois residents] currently own will be banned and will be subject to confiscation by the Illinois State Police.”
The ISRA states,
Based on what we know about Cullerton’s bill, firearms that would be banned include all semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns. Pump action shotguns would be banned as well. This would be a very comprehensive ban that would include not only so-called “assault weapons” but also such classics as M1 Garands and 1911-based pistols. There would be no exemptions and no grandfathering. You would have a very short window to turn in your guns to the State Police to avoid prosecution.
According to The Truth About Guns, there will actually be two bills – “one for semi-automatic rifles, lever guns, shotguns and handguns with certain features (e.g., threaded barrels); and one for ammunition magazine capacity.”
The ISRA has posted five points on “What You Need To Do To Save Your Guns.” They are as follows:
- Beginning Wednesday, call your State Senator and politely tell him or her that you are a law abiding firearm owner and that you strongly oppose Cullerton’s gun ban. Also, be sure to call your State Representative as well and politely deliver the same message. If you do not know who your State Representative please call the Illinois State Board of Elections at 217-782-4141.
- Forward this alert to all your gun owning friends and family members. Be sure to tell them to call their senators and representatives as well.
- Post this alert to any and all Internet bulletin boards and blogs to which you belong.
- Join or renew your membership in the ISRA. Encourage your friends and family to join as well.
- Make a generous donation to the ISRA by clicking the link below. We are in desperate need of your financial support to help beat back the onslaught of gun grab bills coming our way in 2013.
In the wake of the Newtown school shooting, the anti-gun agenda will undoubtedly be pressed harder and harder into concrete actions against the Second Amendment. The attacks on gun ownership will likely be coming from all sides in the coming months. Thus, while one may attempt to achieve as many victories for the Second Amendment as possible through the legislative and political process, it should always be remembered that there should be no compromise and no debate when it comes to our basic rights.
Read other articles by Brandon Turbeville here.
Brandon Turbeville is an author out of Florence, South Carolina. He has a Bachelor’s Degree from Francis Marion University and is the author of three books, Codex Alimentarius — The End of Health Freedom, 7 Real Conspiracies, and Five Sense Solutions and Dispatches From a Dissident. Turbeville has published over 175 articles dealing on a wide variety of subjects including health, economics, government corruption, and civil liberties. Brandon Turbeville’s podcast Truth on The Tracks can be found every Monday night 9 pm EST at UCYTV. He is available for radio and TV interviews. Please contact activistpost (at) gmail.com.